’tis the season for ALL THINGS PUMPKIN!!!
Pumpkin pie, pumpkin spice latte, pumpkin bath bombs, pumpkin candles, pumpkin cookies….you get the idea. We, as a society, love pumpkin anything.
But, did you know that pumpkin can be super beneficial for our furry friends? Here’s how:
- Fibre: Pumpkin is high in dietary fibre which helps keeps their tummies happy and, ahem, regular. Whether your pet poops too much, or not often enough, adding in additional fibre is a good idea; of course, if you suspect your pet may have a medical condition, please seek the advice of a veterinarian.
- High Value Treat: Many dogs LOVE the taste of pumpkin, which makes it a high value treat! Freeze it in a Kong or whip up some healthy pumpkin dog biscuits!
- Nutrient Rich: Pumpkin is chock-full of vitamins and minerals such as potassium (regulates blood pressure, improves muscle health, and assists in metabolism), vitamin C (antioxidant), iron (synthesizes blood and helps with several enzyme functions), phosphorus (cell development and energy storage), magnesium (muscle function, organ health), and folate (metabolism,cell health), just to name a few.
- Eye Health: The abundance of vitamin A in pumpkin helps to keep those puppy dog eyes healthy
- Skin and Fur: All the nutrients in pumpkin helps keep coats shiny and skin moisturized.
So, there you have it! It’s not just us humans who should enjoy the official taste of Fall!