For nearly 20 years, the Georgian Triangle Humane Society has proven to be a significant and essential resource for our community, and we need your support. With a rapidly growing population, a facility bursting at the seams and global economic events putting enormous strain on underserved segments of the community, pressure to safely deliver programs for pets and people mounts.
This is why we are embarking on a campaign to build a new 19,200 square foot Regional Centre for Pets and People on 5 acres of land in Collingwood, Ontario.
Our Regional Centre for Pets and People will offer hope to our community for the next 25 years and beyond. It will be a community hub where youth find companionship, where seniors find purpose, where animals find safety and members of the community find meaningful employment and volunteer opportunities.
Serving Beyond Capacity
The current 6,000 Sq Ft. facility on Tenth Line was built in 2007 designed for approximately 500 animals/year. We currently serve nearly 4,000 animals annually with growing demand for our services. This includes:
- Taking in 1,400 homeless animals and facilitating over 1,200 adoptions
- Outreach programs such as pet pantry, emergency boarding and emergency medical assistance that prevents over 3,000 animals from entering the shelter system and provide compassionate support for people
- Providing 3,000 spay and neuter surgeries and over 1,300 rabies vaccinations that ensure healthy pets today and population control for tomorrow.
Why Do We Need a New Centre?
The GTHS has outgrown our current space and cannot continue to meet the needs of our community in this space:
Why Support the GTHS?
Click the image boxes below to learn more.
Over the next 10 years, the population of Collingwood alone is expected to grow by 38% or approximately 10,000 new residents. We know about 80% of these homes will have pets as part of the family. Our dream for the Regional Centre for Pets and People is a 19,200 sq ft building on 5 acres of land we currently own on Sanford Fleming Drive in Collingwood.
Annually this new facility will:
A Charity You Can Trust
- The GTHS is a registered charity in good standing with the CRA, governed by a Board of Directors.
- We employ over 25 staff and over 300 volunteers.
- Member of Humane Canada (https://humanecanada.ca/) the Ontario Animal Welfare Network (https://oawn.ca/).
- Entrusted with Pound Contracts from Local Municipalities.
- The GTHS balances a healthy business model combining annual fundraising with sustainable social enterprise including Treasure Tails, a thrift store that generates revenue while also providing affordable shopping and diverting items from our local landfills.
- GTHS management has developed a Board-approved business plan which outlines an operational plan and associated budget for the new Animal Centre in 2026. The new building will have a sustainable operating model.
- The GTHS leverages partnerships with other organizations to maximize impact and reduce duplication of services.
- The GTHS is endorsed by the community.
Thank You to Our Donors
We would like to extend our gratitude to all of the donors who have contributed to our campaign. We look forward to celebrating them more when we open our new doors.