The GTHS offers a variety of after school programs for youth in our community who want to learn about the human-animal bond and interact with our shelter animals IN PERSON. Our exciting and engaging programs provide a safe place for youth to improve their compassion and empathy through positive social interactions, spend time with like-minded people and engage in cuddle time with cats and dogs. All programs are led by our Humane Education Coordinator, Molly Freedman, and her incredible team of volunteers.
Questions about any of our programs? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
- IN PERSON
- 12 – 18 years
- Mondays, two sessions per evening, 15 participants per session (please register for their age-appropriate session only)
- Session One: 4:30-6 PM – 12-15years
- Session Two: 6:15-7:45 PM – 15-18 years
- Session Dates (No Sessions on Statutory Holidays):
- May 30th – July 18th
- August 8th – October 3rd
- October 17th – December 5th
- Time spent with live shelter animals with a focus on activities to prepare youth for their future:
- Multiple opportunities to improve empathy and compassion through positive social interactions and the Human-Animal Bond;
- Spend time with like-minded individuals;
- Work on improving social anxiety by learning about ourselves; and,
- Build compassion and empathy for all living things.
- Registration Fee: $10 +HST/week for a total of $90.40, includes eight-week sessions.
AFTER SCHOOL CLUBS
- IN PERSON
- 7- 14 years
- Tuesdays, two sessions per evening, 15 participants per session (please register your child in their age-appropriate session only)
- Session One: 7-10 years, 4:30-6 PM
- Fall Session: September 20th – November 8th
- Each session includes planned activities like games and crafts and will work towards creating more empathetic and compassionate youth through the Human-Animal Bond
- Registration Fee: $110 + HST for a total of 124.30, includes eight-week sessions
PARENTS’ NIGHT OUT
- September 23rd (Registration opens in July)
- From 5-7:30pm at the GTHS
- 7-12 years
- Pizza dinner, crafts, activities and kitty cuddles
- $40 + HST; $10 discount for each additional child from the same family
Molly Freedman is our awesome Humane Education Coordinator. She has a Master’s in Education, a Bachelor’s in Animal Science and has been working with youth and animals for 10+ years. Molly has worked at First Nations Science Camp as well as an Equestrian Summer Camp and has been an active volunteer with the GTHS Humane Education Team for three years before she was hired to run the program full time. Molly has dedicated her life to the care and protection of animals. Her background in Animal Welfare has always focused on the human-animal bond and the many ways she can reinforce the healing powers of animals in the lives of our youth. In her spare time, you may find Molly hiking with her dog, Sasha, or cuddled on the couch with a tea, blanket and purring kitty, Mojito. Her spirit cat, Mai Tai, enjoys supervising from afar.